EUHH Social Descends into Meadows Madness

Edinburgh’s finest running club. A very enthusiastic social sec. A lot of beer. What could possibly go wrong..?

| UPDATED haries kb5 beerienteering

Any night that starts with a group of students being given a map of Edinburgh and a list of challenges is always going to be messy, but with Saturday night’s event being organised by Mr Neil Colquhoun, social secretary for EUH&H, the night was destined for greatness.

Previous antics of his have included fishing jelly babies out of vats of porridge using only your mouth, drinking pints from between other players feet, and taking shots whilst running a relay around Bristo Square. Still, we were not prepared.

For those who are not aware the grand game of ‘beerienteering’ involves being split into teams and racing from pub to pub around Edinburgh drinking a number of drinks along the way and completing a number of challenges. Lycra was strongly encouraged, and if you were an orienteer it would probably be see-through.

As with any night out there were many highpoints and moments of pure hilarity, most of which stemmed from Neil’s legendary Absolute-Fucking-Chief Awards. Special mention to Team International who managed to plank at the top of Arthur’s Seat and run a naked mile through Holyrood before they had even visited their second pub.

For one lucky Harie only this photo was to be found on Facebook. Identity retained, dignity lost.

Sadly others were not so lucky. Sparked by news of the competition’s antics one member of Team Fresher was keen to join in. Unfortunately he forgot that running a naked mile in The Meadows is quite different to running it in the gloom of Holyrood. Especially when there is a police car circling nearby.

Arrest narrowly avoided the night continued in the Blue Blazer. Fun was had, non-Ale drinkers were mocked, and an exceptional display of pint glasses, bar, mats, lanterns and other ‘acquired’ goods was proudly displayed. What could possibly top that? A stolen chair from the Blue Blazer? Great idea! Until the police paid us their second visit of the night…

On we tripped to The Big Cheese where I’m sure a good time was had by all. Sadly this part will have to be skipped over; partly due to a lack of space, more due to a lack of memory. The pictures can do the talking:

Eventually the wee hours of the morning set in and a straggled collection of Haries found themselves in a nearby flat. There was a sword. There were casualties. But who even cares about politics anyway?