Changing the Face of Advertising

One fresher has found a novel way to cut down on his student debt

Jay Jones, founder of BuyMyFace100.com, has taken funding the next night out to a whole new level.

The fresher has sold his face to advertising for 100 days, in order to make a dent in the £9,000 tuition fees that a large majority of freshers are facing.

Talking to Jay as both as a businessman and a flatmate, he fully justified to me what at first sounded like a stupid idea, as a brand new method of money-making.

Jay, 19, is a self-confessed “charming, but quirky” Northerner, who at one of his first uni socials ended up “naked, on top of a golden post box.” As you do.

Having performed in the London 2012 Olympics and studying for a degree in Physics, he wouldn’t seem to be the most likely entrepreneur. Jay said: “My generation have been stung by rising tuition fees, and face prospects of graduating jobless in a failing economy. I had to take advantage of living with 2,000 students, to help change the face of business for future students,” (hopefully with no pun intended.)

With help from colleagues in the US and (very) patient housemates, Jay has been selling his face at a rate increasing day by day. At day 38, he has reached over £500.

There are obvious pitfalls in selling your face to advertising, continuously for 100 days. Jay said: “I got kidnapped by a local night club and then returned covered in paint afterwards, that was pretty weird.”

Jay hasn’t let this go to his head (too much), laughing off claims he’s become a resident BNOC. He was, however keen to reassure me that having a face covered in paint hasn’t affected his chances with the ladies: “I get a lot more attention these days, most of it positive. I wouldn’t be running my business effectively if I wasn’t attracting attention, as that’s the whole point. It’s just been an AD-venture,” (this time, pun very much intended.)

He may not be funny, but Jay’s definitely putting a more positive spin on selling your body to fund a student lifestyle. He’s literally changed the face of money making. Just in case anyone was wandering, The Tab did ask what he would sell next. “My ideas,” he smiled, “only my ideas.”

Sorry ladies.

For more information, follow Jay @BuyMyFace100, or check out the website.