Durham University’s Chancellor Sir Thomas Allen to step down at the end of the year

He has been one of the University’s longest-serving Chancellors

Durham University has announced that its Chancellor Sir Thomas Allen will be stepping down from his role at the end of the year.

Sir Thomas Allen has been one of the University’s longest-serving Chancellors with over ten years in the role, and will be leaving after the July 2022 congregations.

Whilst Chancellor of the University, Sir Thomas Allen has presided over ceremonial, scholarly, pastoral and ambassadorial duties, playing a key role in many matriculation and congregation services.

As a renowned international opera singer, Sir Thomas Allen, originally from nearby Seaham, has showcased his skills and performed with students, most notably at Durham Cathedral in front of Prince Charles.

In an email sent to students, acting Vice-Chancellor Antony Long commended Sir Thomas Allen’s “spectacular service” to the University, and named him the “embodiment of our values in all that he has undertaken in the role”.

The University is now in the process of an international search for Sir Thomas Allen’s successor.