Interested in joining The Tab Durham? Apply NOW!

Applications are now open for Deputy Editor, News Editor and Social Editor

Although more prematurely than most of us would have liked, the end of the academic year is nigh, which can only mean one thing. It’s time for the current Editorial Team at The Tab Durham to hand over the reins to a brand new team.

We’re in unprecedented times that are set to continue long past this term, which calls for the best student journalists in Durham to cover everything as it’s happening.

We are currently recruiting for three new roles: Deputy Editor, News Editor and Social Editor. No prior journalism experience is required as all training will be provided.

Why join The Tab Durham?

1. The Tab is the largest student newspaper in the country, reporting on the stories that students care about most
  2. We have support from a team of professional journalists in London. Tab HQ will always be on hand to provide training, and support on how you can improve your writing
  3. A chance to get picked up by National papers! Many of The Tab’s biggest stories have made national newspapers or broadcasters, including The Times, The Daily Telegraph, Daily Mirror, The Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Star
  4. Meet new people! We hold weekly meetings where we all share our ideas, as well as going on the occasional social
  5. It’s really fun. The Tab offers an amazing platform for you to get your work noticed in the industry if you’re doing it for your CV, but failing that, it’s a great way to get hold of all the latest gossip before your mates
  6. Stash. What better flex than rocking up to a lecture in your Tab t-shirt, taking out your laptop with a Tab sticker on it, and then opening up your pencil case to write your notes with a Tab pen? Ok, so that last one might be a bit ridiculous, but the rest are all highly worthy reasons!

Sounds good, right?

Applications are now open for our three new roles, for which handovers from our current Editors will begin during Easter Term. Roles and their descriptions are as follows.

Deputy Editor 

This is one of the most in depth roles within The Tab Durham. Your job is to help the Editor lead the team, delegating articles to other writers, and helping suss out all the scoops in Durham as they’re unfolding. You will also be expected to regularly contribute content, as well as edit articles submitted by other writers so that it is ready for publishing. Full training on how to edit will be provided.

News Editor

The News Editor will head up our News team, helping break all the latest stories in a timely and efficient manner. Breaking big stories is key to The Tab’s success and often these stories can reach the national press. Durham may seem like a bit of a sleepy city, but once you get involved, you’ll see there’s lots going on to get your claws into!

Social Editor

With over 20,000 likes on our Facebook page, and strong Twitter and Instagram followings, social media is key to our success. We need someone to head up the running of these accounts, as well as provide spicy and entertaining content for them.

We are also accepting applications on a rolling basis for General Contributors. 

If you are interested in any of the above roles, please fill in our application form here.

Applications will be open until midday, on Friday 17th April.

If you have any further questions about any of the roles, please email [email protected]