We asked Durham freshers how they’re voting in the 2019 election

They will be voting for their first time on 12th December

Hide Images

On the 12th of December, British citizens will take to the polls to vote in the third general election in four years.

The Tab Durham set out on a mission to find out the motivations of some of our first years, who will be voting in a General Election for the first time.

Whilst some are excited to finally exercise their democratic right as an adult, others are begrudgingly voting because "they probably should, shouldn’t they?"- and beyond that, there are others who frankly couldn’t care less.

Here are the opinions and reasonings of four freshers, divided by the party of their choice:

The Conservative

How are you voting?

Conservative.

What course do you study?

Finance.

Why are you voting Conservative?

Because Boris is going to deliver Brexit. He’s the only bloke who actually believes in Brexit. Labour has been blocking every Brexit deal for months. The Tories are just trying to plough on.

Are you voting at home or in Durham? Why?

Home. There’s no point voting in Durham. It’s an uber left wing Corbynista hotspot.

How do you think they’ll benefit you as a student at Durham?

I don’t know. I’m not selfish – I’m voting to benefit the country as a whole. At the moment, where are we going to get the money to, for example, scrap tuition fees?

Labour

How are you voting?

Labour.

What course do you study?

Russian and Spanish .

Why are you voting Labour?

Brexit. I don’t want it because it’s going to screw over this country. Labour is the most tactical vote for me because the Lib Dems are never going to win. And the Conservatives are screwing the country over with austerity and how they’ve been treating the NHS.

Home. Because Durham is a Labour stronghold and my home constituency is a Tory safe seat.

Hopefully stop Brexit. I doubt they’ll manage to abolish tuition fees but Brexit is my main concern.

Green Party

How are you voting?

Green Party.

What course do you study?

Sociology and Anthropology.

Why are you voting Green?

The polar bears are dying for fucks sake, gotta have some compassion you know. Frankly if Boris stays in power the only winter my kids will see is a nuclear one.

Home. My home seat is Lib Dem and I don’t agree with the fact that they’re undemocratic remainers.

Well sociology will be a fairly useless degree when society inevitably crumbles after climate collapse, so I guess you could say they’re saving me 30 grand that could have been better spent on a bunker.

Lib Dem

How are you voting?

Lib Dem.

What course do you study?

Chemistry.

Why are you voting Lib Dem?

Because I can’t, in good conscience, vote for any other party.

Undecided, though probably in Durham because the majority is less for the Lib Dems here.

They’ll hopefully stop Brexit? Which will benefit everyone hopefully – including students.