A Durham student is going on Bake Off and he already knows Paul Hollywood

Ok so he’s basically won already

A Durham student is going to be appearing on the new series of Great British Bake Off this year. 20-year-old Henry Bird, from London, is in his second year studying English Literature at Durham and will be a contestant on the newest series.

Henry's a keen baker who regularly practices making cakes and puddings – basically the ideal housemate. Henry said: “I have wanted to get into the tent since series two."

He actually lives close to where the Bake Off is filmed, which is why he knows Paul Hollywood. Henry said: “They used to film the show at the end of my road, and I’d see Paul Hollywood when I walked to school in the mornings, so to be inside the actual tent was totally wonderful!”

The application process involved the bakers making a cake which reflected one of the happiest days of their lives. So, obviously, Henry baked one about a uni party. He said about his choice:

“One of the most lovely days I had was at Uni this year, we had an end of year party where everyone was totally relaxed."

View this post on Instagram

Hey pretty shining people

A post shared by Henry Bird (@henryfabird) on

You can catch Henry and his baking talents on the newest series this month. Channel 4 have announced that this series will air on Tuesday 27 August 2019.

Featured image via @henryfabird