Image may contain: Accessory, Accessories, Sunglasses, Clothing, Apparel, Pendant, Human, Person

As if Rihanna was spotted in Durham yesterday watching the cricket?!

Badgalriri just made Duz a little more glamorous

The absolute icon that is Robyn Rihanna Fenty made a surprise appearance at the ICC Cricket World Cup in Durham yesterday. In honour of her Barbadian roots, Rihanna came to support all those men in maroon as the West Indies took on Sri Lanka.

It is, of course, absolutely classic that RiRi's Durham visit coincided with move-in day and consequently very few students had the time to trek to The Riverside in Chester-le-Street to observe the Pop Queen in the flesh. Or even to relax on a Market Square deckchair, drink in hand, and appreciate Rihanna's proximity through the big screen.

Image may contain: People, Glasses, Crowd, Face, Apparel, Clothing, Hat, Sunglasses, Accessories, Accessory, Human, Person

RiRi on the big screen!

But the media-frenzy that her vivacious presence at the match has created has at least sprinkled a little Fenty-dust over the North-East. It's safe to say we have now come some way from the days when Players x Made in Chelsea represented peak celebrity presence in Durham. Sorry, Jamie Laing, but you don't quite cut it anymore.

The Fenty Queen donned her finest cricket whites with a touch of gold and a power pink lip to watch the match at The Riverside Durham, sipping a drink in the North-Eastern sun (a rare sight, I know) as the West Indies gave a somewhat lacklustre performance.

She paid tribute to 'champ' Roddy Estwick (a former Barbadian first-class cricketer also present at yesterday's match) on her Instagram story, evidencing her long-term love for cricket and reminding us that sometimes even the world's most influential women have fangirl moments. Roddy Estwick might have made RiRi's day, but this ought to make yours – she is just so wonderfully human.

Image may contain: Face, Clothing, Apparel, Glasses, Person, Human, Accessory, Sunglasses, Accessories

Even if Rihanna was not quite enough to inspire a Windies victory, it is reassuring to see the world's richest female musician (as named by Forbes) indulging in a day off and in not so different a location to our usual Sunday spectator sports.

Next time you're making the trip down towards MC in order to spectate, take just a moment to think of Badgalriri supporting her side with passion (and style) in Durham too. How very Fenty of you.