This Durham first-year has beaten professional Oxbridge Economists to win a prize worth £10,000

She doesn’t even do Economics

Alice Lassman is a first-year Geography undergrad at Van Mildert, and her idea won her £10,000.

How did she do it? Amazingly, she beat world-class teams of Economists from prestigious universities across the globe, including Oxford, to come runner-up in the inaugural Indigo Prize.

Image may contain: Potted Plant, Plant, Person, People, Human

The Indigo Prize was set up to incentivise researchers to find a new metric for measuring a country's economic activity more appropriate to the 21st century.

Alice beat over fifty other entrants, many of which were teams of up to ten professionals, to come runner-up.

The key to her success? There are three, she tells The Tab: her youth; her ability to visualise problems; and her focus on people as individuals.

Image may contain: Drawing, Diagram, Text, Oval

She made her breakthrough in the waiting lounges of the world, scribbling in her notebook for two hours at a train station in Barcelona, and for nine hours on a long-haul flight from Kenya, all the while coming nearer to finding a physical concept that could illustrate her idea.

With youth on her side (she can actually understand the world of our generation), and a keen globalist, she put the individual front stage, and took it from there.

You can read Alice’s full paper here.

Durham University

The Tab Durham

last seen today at 02:56

Get breaking Durham news straight to your WhatsApp

Find out which sports team’s getting banned next, who’s looking fire at the fashion show, and some gentle Hatfield rinsing. Straight into your DMs. 😘