Bringing Stockton to Durham- what the new development is going to look like

Probably better than Stockton

Durham University are splashing the cash to bring Stockton to Durham after all these years of separation- and they're spending £85 million to do it.

Here's hoping they didn't model it on the DSU (Photo:Durham University)

The new Mount Oswald project is due to start in March 2018 and will place John Snow and a new 17th college way up near the Business Department. So, not quite as far as Stockton, but near enough. Sorry Stevenson, maybe you'll get out next year.

Not to mention the exciting new college, where gowns and chinos might be a bit out of place next to the 'coloured concrete and metallic strips' but there will also be plenty of space and greenery according to the artists impressions of the project. Although traditions won't be quite as established as those in Castle or our favourite Hatfield, maybe the rooms will be slightly nicer and not peeling quite as much.

Nicely modern with a touch of old Durham.(Photo:Durham University)

But it does mean that alongside John Snow, that's a total of 1,000 new students to try and live up to the good old 72%. And, what's more, the university is planning to get to 21,500 students by 2027.

A view over the new site. (Photo:Durham University)

Mount Oswald will also contain a Hub, with new state of the art facilities including a gym that's probably ten times more worth going to than your college gym. As well as an events hall, music practice rooms, Islamic prayer facilities and administrative space it's not sounding too shabby.

The Hub sounds like the new place to be. (Photo:Durham University)

If you're feeling a bit left out, the university is also finding a spare £107 million to invest into science buildings (if they could put in some sort of escalator up Cardiac Hill that would be appreciated), the education department, Elvet Riverside (maybe just start again?) and existing colleges. All this is in aid of it's ten year plan 2017-2027 to increase investment and improve the university's facilities. Here's hoping they're considering extensions to the college bars as well.

So here's to September 2019 when 1,000 new students are going to turn up to join us in the line for Klute.

If you have anything to add to the discussion, a public consultation is currently under way and will end on the 23rd of October.