will.i.am signs up to work for Durham bank

‘I gotta feeling’ this is going to be a strange collaboration

Hide Images
The Voice judge and Black Eyed Peas star will.i.am has joined Durham company Atom Bank as a strategic advisor in one of the stranger appointments seen in the city.

Atom, whose headquarters are in Durham City, is a mobile banking company, and will.i.am will be the first strategic board advisor for the company.

Atom’s founder and chairman, Anthony Thomson, who is from the North East, said, “Like us, will.i.am believes that technology can better and simplify our lives, which is at the heart of all that we are passionate about at Atom. “

“As we develop the range of products and services on offer to customers, will.i.am’s unique view on the world and knowledge of future trends will be a great asset to us.”

Will.i.am added, “Our lives are faster than ever before, but the banking industry hasn’t kept up.”

“The scale of Atom’s ambition to help people understand and manage their money better and its better use of technology to give people an entire bank on their phone is awesome.”

“I’m looking forward to working with Atom to achieve success in whatever we do together.”

It has been reported that the deal could be worth up to £4m for the rapper, with the opportunity to gain up to 3.55m shares in the bank at £1.15 each over the next three years.

will.i.am will engage in public relations, attend board meetings and promote the bank on social media.

Durham is clearly the place to be for Hollywood types this year!