Chris Hemsworth rolls into Durham in a blacked out Range Rover for Avengers filming

The Cathedral is buzzing today

There have been reports that Chris Hemsworth has been spotted in the back of a black Range Rover as filming of Marvel Studios’ upcoming production Avengers: Infinity War started today.

Durham cathedral closed to the public at noon for a “major event” and will not reopen until Sunday.

The film’s astonishing all-star cast includes Chris Hemsworth, as well as Tom Hiddleston, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Zoe Saldana, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, and Elizabeth Olson.

Rows of white lorries containing props, cameras, and lighting are being emptied on Palace Green (1), while costume vans and film executive cars use the south entrance (2) to enter the cathedral. Actors also access the cathedral through the south entrance, in cars marked with the film’s working title, Mary Lou.

Make-up tents are set up in the rear courtyard, with groups of extras dressed as “knights and maidens”, according to one snooper.

One group of tourists had come from Mexico and were disappointed to find the cathedral closed, while a cathedral volunteer told The Tab filming had started.

Durham cathedral’s “major event” was confirmed by The Tab to be the filming of the upcoming Avengers film. The cathedral will remain closed from noon on Thursday 4th May, as well as Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, and Tuesday 9th.

A security team from Titan Close Protection, who maintain a tight presence around the premises, refuse to answer questions.

Marvel Studios’ productions are extremely lucrative and feature A-list actors, so they are often highly secretive. Speculation remains as to what exactly will be filmed at the cathedral, and whether Chris Hemsworth is the only actor involved.