Durham students to protest Trump’s refugee ban this afternoon

Which side of history will you be on?

Students from Durham University will unite with others from the North East this afternoon, in voicing their anger at Donald Trump after his first week in office.

The students will meet at Durham Station at 16:30 today to join a march organised by Newcastle Stop the War, North East People’s Assembly, Newcastle Palestine Solidarity Campaign and North East Stand up to Racism, under the strapline ‘No to Trump’s Ban! Newcastle stands with Muslims and Refugees.’

Fran Vickery, 19, from Cuth’s, who will join the march, said, “When the most powerful man in the world is setting an example this detestable, I have no option but to make my small voice part of one this great.”

All students are welcome to join the march. A return train ticket to Newcastle costs less than £6.

The protest march is part of a worldwide wave of opposition to Donald Trump, after he signed executive orders banning refugees from entering the USA, as well as all nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries.

Sir Mo Farah, who was born in Somalia, wrote of the order: “On 1st January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27th January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.”

The event can be found here.