What’s on in Durham this week?

Why focus on summative deadlines when you can get nights out and Christmas events into the calender!

Monday 5th December

Cheapskates – 50p Entry Night

Cheapskates are thanking their fans and regulars with a 50p entry this week! The only time you’ll EVER get into loft for 50 pence in history, think CheapERskates this week. The night promises to have all your faves with free pizza, £1 jaeger bombs and even alcopops!

Join the hype. 

Freak Out – The Bed Rock

Head down to Wiff Waff again y’all to make the bed rock this Monday! Home of the Flinstones, Georgio’s hit club track and Young Money’s debut number, this week Freak Out wants to groove with you kids. Be there for a funky night out.

Join the gang.

Tuesday 6th December

Poetry Society Open Mic

Pop down to the Empty Shop HQ at 8:45pm today ladies and gents for a free event of poetry, music and drama. Whether you write yourself and want to perform, or if you want to just sit back and listen to it all – this is the place for you, for FREE!

Poetry Party!

Wednesday 7th December

Hot Chocolate Crawl

Durham’s Chocolate Society are starting a wild cafe crawl at 3pm from Dunelm house today. For members its a mere £3.50 and non members £5.50 to check out 3 speciality hot chocs from 3 diff locations.

Oriental Museum Tour with Rachel Barclay

Aspiring artists, general enthusiastis or budding art historians, Durham’s History of Art Society offers you the chance for a guided tour of Durham’s Oriental Museum to find out more about the objects and art on display. A jewel in Durham’s cultural spots!

Get interested! 

Thursday 8th December

Saturnalia Ball

The Classics Society presents their annual ball, undoubtedly their most popular event of the year. Expect a champagne reception, three course meal and a cheese soiree to finish the night all in the lovely Cathedral crypt.

The main event has sold out but tickets for the after party go on sale on Wednesday – unlimited cheese and port for £5!

Caroline Lucas at the Durham Union

Head down to the DU at 8:30pm tonight for an hour and a half lecture given by the current Leader of the Green Party in England and Wales, Caroline Lucas MP. A seasoned political campaigner, her interests include the green agenda, trade justice and nuclear disarmament. She will be discussing contemporary political themes.

Find out more. 

Friday 9th December

Jam City – Cirque Du Soul

Jam City is back with a bang for their end of term Cirque du Soul event, with The Lost City ft. El Dorado Festival at both our Loft and Studio nightclubs. This will be their FINAL party of the term, so make sure to turn up and buy your tickets on the door for a fab Friday night out.

Get excited!

Collingwood Winter Solstice 2016 

The best and most Christmassy event of the year, Woodsmen and Woodswomen make sure to get yourself a ticket and get down to college tonight for a Roald Dahl themed extravaganza.

Saturday 10th December

Winter Exhibition & Christmas Card Sale

Pop along between 10am-6pm to Palace Green to see Art Society’s winter exhibition and get a chance to buy some student-designed Christmas cards. All card sales revenue will be donated to Age UK Charity. Lets get arty and festive everybody.

Find out more.

Sunday 11th December 

Coming Home: A Concert

Hild Bede Theatre company are putting on a charity concert called “Coming Home” – a concept to explore the various themes of what ‘Home’ means to us whilst at the same time raising money for a valuable cause, the Women for Women International charity. An organisation that supports and provides business, health and right educations for women in post-conflict areas.

Buy tickets! 

Indoor Christmas Bazaar

Come to LOVESHACK this Sunday to check out the indoor Christmas bazaar. Expect to see stalls selling yummy goods, homemade decorations, street food, toys, the lot! There’ll also be a chance to meet Santa along with both his reindeers and elves.

Check it out!