We asked you about the weirdest things you’ve bought online

Don’t be shy

They say the internet has brought us endless opportunities. One is Amazon, another is eBay. As online consumer spending grows every year, we set out to find the wackiest and darkest corners of Durham students’ purchase history.

Jamie, 19, Van Mildert, History

“I bought a Borat thong for my friend. We forced him to wear it on a cold night out. It wasn’t very flattering.”

Moojin, 27, Hild Bede, Biomed, and Johann, 18, Trevs, Biosciences

Moojin: “A survival axe. In South Korea, I bought it for surviving. At that moment I wanted to throw myself into adventure in the forest.”

Johann: “A spiked leg massager. Because my legs hurt. I was doing sport, you know.”

Lewis, 19, Aidan’s, Engineering

“A kangaroo onesie. I took it on a ship to France. There was no real reason. I think I felt like a kangaroo was my spirit animal at the time.”

George, 19, Castle, Classics

“My public profile is too precious to risk anything dodgy coming up.”

Ella, 20, Castle, French and Politics

“A tambourine for my mum. She decided she wanted to play it while I sang. Never ever have we ever, and I’d quite like to keep it that way. Though I do love her.”

Matthew, 19, Cuths, Law

“My cousin thought it would be funny to order me a pair of bondage handcuffs. I’m not sure where I’m going to hide them when my family visit.”

Isabella, 19, Hatfield, Anthropology and Sociology

“Fertilised hen’s eggs. We bought them off eBay. It was quite cool the way they packaged them!”

Hamish, 18, Hatfield, Economics

“Clothes.”

Lizzie, 20, Collingwood, Classics

“I bought a really massive blown up picture of a guy passed out in Manchester…”

Katharine, 19, Van Mildert, Geography, and Elliott, 19, Van Mildert, Modern Languages

Katharine: “An eye mask which I was meant to have for bed but it turned out to be a Chinese bondage mask.”

Elliott: “A cutlery rack.”

Sarah and Felix, both 19, Hatfield, Liberal Arts

Sarah: “A daisy for my tortoises.”

Felix: “Probably things to do with pets, probably some frogs, poisoned dart frogs.”

Josh, 20, Cuths, PPE

“A nuclear weapon. Wait, no, lots of drugs.”