We asked freshers about their first impressions of Durham

‘Absolutely freezing’

From the beautiful cathedral to the worst nightclub in Europe, there are a lot of things that attract students to Durham. But now that the freshers have spent their first few days here, what do they think of it now?

Charles Ewing, Maths, Cuths

“I didn’t think it would be that mad but it is – we went to Jimmy’s last night.”

Brooke Dudley, Psychology and Biology, Cuths

“I was excited to see old buildings, we don’t have any in Canada. I was also surprised that it wasn’t raining because apparently that happens all the time here.”

Eleanor Hawkins, History, Cuths

“The first 24 hours have been a lot less stressful than I first thought.  There are so many people around to help you and tell you where to go so you don’t get lost.”

Floris Winckel, History, Chads

“Durham’s actually really busy.  I’ve lived in a Swiss village of 2000 people for the last four years and now I’m in a room right next to the main road.”

Olivia Gidman, French and Spanish, Hatfield

“My family live five minutes away so I know the city well.  I’m really enjoying the community feel.  It’s so different from other unis.”

James Penry, Trevs, Modern Languages

“It’s easy to get places because Durham’s so small.”

Josh Preston, English, Trevs

“I thought it would be colder and wetter, and it’s definitely a misconception that Durham is boring.  There’s loads going on.”

Maddy Cane, Combined Social Sciences, Castle

“It’s absolutely freezing.  We had live music outside last night and I was wrapped up in a jumper and a coat.”

Holly Collier, Liberal Arts, Castle

“Durham is a lot friendlier than I expected. I thought it would be really academic and that everyone would be just focused on work.  Although I guess lectures haven’t started yet…”