Durham university is the best in the UK

It’s Oxbridge without the mental breakdown

Durham university is, without a doubt, the best university in the land. There’s a reason Doxbridge is a thing. We’re about to tell you why.

The place is beautiful

A beautiful town defined by cobbled streets, scenic landscape and immense architecture.

It’s a safe atmosphere

A crime free, intimate and peaceful community, complemented by an exceptional academic reputation and university ranking – it’s no wonder Durham continues to be placed as 1st and 2nd choice on UCAS forms around the country. It’s understandable where all the love for dreamy ‘Duzza’ comes from.

We love the college community

The college system makes it near impossible not to get involved. You don’t have to play county or international level sport to get some game time. Nearly everyone is a part of a college team, which vary in ability.

Trust me, if you’re shocking you can still get a game –  so yes, there’s plenty of room for your ‘pub footballers’, those in it for a laugh and to meet new people. Alternatively, if you back yourself, play for the uni – it’s not half bad.

Like Oxbridge, students live in college. However, with less than half the number of colleges in comparison, Durham colleges are home to a more full life. All within walking distance from each other and full to the brim with fresher’s, seeing mates is easy. In comparison, Oxbridge colleges are home to a smaller numbers of freshers; at Durham however, 2nd year Amelia Hart told The Tab: “there is a sense of community without it being too small”.

Each college acts as a sort of boarding school, housing its own distinctive community and ethos – each a little different. Hundreds, even over 1000 people in colleges allows countless sports teams, drama productions, socials, formals, you name it. And the college bars are normally packed, often with those seeking to complete the infamous 16 college bar crawl.

It’s not a try hard student lifestyle

Less intense, study drug-fuelled academic pressure gives Durham students time to get fully stuck in to student life. Believe it or not, it’s possible to play sport, feature in a play, do your work, sleep, and have a drink all at the same time: amazing I know.

The Durham experience allows the time to see those mates at other uni’s you keep talking about, and the conspicuously cheap alcohol makes it affordable too.

The clubbing is cheap

Forget the £5 pints and expensive entry of London clubs. You don’t have to spend a fortune to have a great time, or resort to taking a pill outside Fabric to save money – don’t pretend you haven’t. Enjoy a pint in your college bar for a rather extortionate £1.60, or if you fancy roaming into town, a mere £2.20 pint is the price to pay.

Home to the cheesy tunes of Klute: officially voted the ‘worst nightclub in Europe’. If you get sick of belting out Busted’s Year 3000 or Durham’s signature song (‘Mr Brightside’), whilst eyeing up your next victim, mix it up with an 11-minute train to Newcastle if you fancy having an MD-amazing time.

You’re surrounded by like minded clever people

Above all, Duzza is the best in the country because on top of everything: it’s cozy vibe, cheap pints, inclusive college system, it’s high academic reputation gives you the bragging rights you don’t get at other unis. The home of Oxbridge rejects (those too sociable to get in), it’s coined the term ‘Doxbridge’. But it’s different to Oxbridge, and anywhere else in the UK.

Many love the strong chip culture, curry being the classic choice, as well as the everybody knows everybody feel about the place. The Durham bubble ensures it’s never more than a 15-20 walk to get home after a night out, and that’s if you live on the hill; you’re not going to be wondering around wasted in the dodgy area of a huge city, having lost your mates – tell Mum to relax.

The spectacular Cathedral & Castle, and of course the river, make you realise how lucky you are to be there, and it’s hard not to act like a tourist and keep Durham off your social media – just think of your Instagram.

You’d be mad not applying.