Exclusive: DSU reveals nightclub plans

Unbelievable news

The DSU have revealed plans to convert the Fonteyn Ballroom into a brand new nightclub with a view to hosting ‘Students’ Union’ nights every Thursday. The new club will be called ‘The Ballroom’ and is set to open in time for Michaelmas Term 2016.

Taking inspiration from Klute’s multi-layered complex, The Ballroom will feature two rooms on the ground floor with an upstairs £8 ticketed VIP area exclusively for sports teams.

In light of the recent events at Shaheen’s, the DSU have outlined that sports teams are required to fill out an application form for access to the VIP area and must take a ‘responsible drinking’ workshop a week before their chosen date.

Durham currently stands as one of the only universities without a Students’ Union night and it seems the DSU have uncharacteristically taken our complaints on board to deliver an additional weekday hotspot.

Entry will be free but an insider source has told The Tab: “We have decided to include a dress code to retain the professional image of the DSU. This includes no trainers and no hats and bouncers will turn students away if they judge their attire to be too casual.”

The Tab can reveal that drink prices will rival those of college bars, with exclusive offers such as £2.50 jaegerbombs or 2 for £5.