Why you should let the Turtleneck into your hearts

They’re the marmite of the torso-garment world

Turtlenecks are without doubt the most underrated fashion item of this season, if not the year.

An item associated with philosophers, academics, artists, Sterling Archer and the filthy secretary in Love Actually should be worn with pride, and yet, for some unknown reason, it is ridiculed.

Perfect outfit to snack in

The UK gets pretty cold in the winter months (especially when your student loan can’t afford to heat your house), so why isn’t everyone getting behind the insulating sorcery of the good old fashioned turtleneck?

It’s a playful piece that’s been around since day one, consistently performing the tasks required from a top (covers all nipples, tummy and shoulders), and going the extra mile to cover the neck region. The roll neck can honestly boast that it offers 110%.

Admittedly, it does have its perils; the illusion of a double chin is a risk factor when donning such a high necked item. But, the extra fabric creeping up one’s throat also combats many hazards which other garments just don’t protect the wearer from. The escaping boob and chilly neck, to name a few.

If nothing else, the roll neck can at least be championed as an economical item – no need to buy any more scarves. It’s the spork of the fashion world. If we like the jumpsuit: rolling trousers and top into one, we should certainly support the scarf and top combo.

It even looks good in a mirror selfie

You may find this article distasteful. Some may argue that the roll neck is out-dated, not edgy enough, or just a weird idea. But it’s indisputably versatile; jacket, or coat, day in the library, or night in Klute, it’s got you covered.

Here’s to a top that looks as good in cotton as it does in cashmere or cable knit, or even neoprene.