Freshers make it to LA on JailBreak

They raised money in black tie

Two JoBo Maths freshers have made it to LA as part of Jailbreak – DUCK’s charity fundraiser.

The staggering 8,500 km from Newcastle to LA was achieved for free by Lewis Murphy and Jake Buckley, in the crazed charity event where you have just 36 hours to travel as far away from Durham as possible.

Raising hundreds of pounds dressed in black tie at the Metrocentre, they were able to buy a ticket to LA. On such short notice Jake and Lewis were in the air before their visa had even been approved.

One kind man gave £50 – and even offered to drive them to the airport!

While Stateside, the Durham pair searched for the cheapest rooms and visited old friends. But the Paris attacks spurred them to start fundraising for the French Red Cross in Beverly Hills.

While others managed to make it to Amsterdam, Kraków and Montenegro on flights and ferries – they paled in comparison to the American adventure. The furthest UK-based team was Penzance – 740 km away in Cornwall.

Raising over £4000 for charity, the 60 plus people who took part in Jailbreak this year travelled as far away from Durham as possible. You can follow their exploits on Facebook.