What the death of Paradise Disco means for Durham

Very little

Paradise Disco, known throughout Durham as one of the coolest nights to be papped at, recently closed its doors and left Wiff Waff for the sunnier climbs of Hawaii.

For some, it’s a great shame. For many more, it makes absolutely no difference.

All their fans

Paradise certainly had it’s selling points – the music was great, and provided a good alternative to Durham’s two extremes of cheesy pop or hardcore house, the outfits were always on point, and the majority of people who attended were really fit.

For a brief period last year it was the only night on a Monday, taking over from 2013’s halcyon days of Loft Mondays as the new post-game night out for the darts teams, and everyone else followed.

The exotic Hawaiian theme and fun-loving hula girls attracted a strong crowd, and for a while it was the place to be on a Monday night.

exotic

However, its popularity didn’t keep up, and since then other competing nights have stolen many of its ex-attendees, creating an awkward divide that leaves all events ever so slightly too empty.

Paradise was fun, but it didn’t bring anything particularly new to the table, and it didn’t help that it was in the worst venue. Because honestly, no one really likes Wiff Waff.

You can tell yourself that the exposed brick arches are cool, and that the alcohol leaves a less dodgy taste in your mouth, but none of this holds any value because, despite its saving graces, Waff is just a crap club.

Revolted by their surroundings

So now Cheapskates has come out as the victorious night out, and Loft Mondays have been reborn, albeit in a much tackier image – like the Nikki Minaj to 2013’s Beyonce. And people might moan a bit, and lament the downfall of one of the ‘edgier’ nights, but ultimately it makes very little difference where you are when you’re 10 pints down and surrounded by the exact same group you’d find anywhere else.

So people will keep on putting on nights, and people will keep on going to them, and soon Paradise Disco will be just another blip in Durham’s clubbing history that you can reminisce about to the Freshers next year. And the Freshers won’t give a shit.

So long