What does your Durham night out say about you?

You’re so Loveshack

Durham is small but it plays host to a bunch of clubs and each one has an identity. Don’t know who you’re going to find in each?  Here’s the definitive list of the different tribes found in each club.

Lloyds

Yes it’s a Spoons, but the Durham Lloyds attracts a crows known for wearing gowns on a night out. It used to be free, but these work-hard-play-hard lot are stumbling around at 9 on a Wednesday, that or throwing up in a bin.

Loft

Loft has overtaken Wiff Waff in the race to be Durham’s “coolest” club, hosting an array of ticketed nights with DJs nobody has heard of. It is now the inevitable home of “the cool kids” – the people who think they’re too edgy to be here, usually found complaining about the Durham nightlife and chatting about some sick rave they went to in Newcastle last week. They can be spotted by their shellsuit jackets, bindis or, god forbid, bucket hats.

Loveshack

Everyone knows Loveshack is DU’s breeding ground. Sports socials travel about the club in packs, irritating the hell out of anyone else unfortunate enough to be there. The only fun thing about these guys is being able to go to play “spot the person not in shit fancy dress” on a Wednesday night.

Jimmy’s

Jimmy attracts a larger than life crowd. Spotted, and heard, a mile off: it’s the rugby lads. Usually dressed as naughty school girls even if it isn’t a Wednesday, they can usually be found either trying to chat girls up at the bar or stripping on the dance floor.

Fab’s

The vibe here is South West London private school kids. Always in shirt and tie even if not at a formal, champagne pres are a necessity to fit in. If you can stand the pretentious chat, it’s worth palling up with one of these guys, as they will undoubtedly buy you copious drinks on Daddy’s card.

Klute

The Oxbridge rejects. We all go to Klute and we’re all Oxbridge rejects – enough said.

Slug and Lettuce

Who knew this place existed? Your token Northern friend will. You’re only here to escape the Southerners, and no doubt your accent will become harder and harder to decipher as the night goes on. You’re bound to find an obscure post-lash meal along the lines of Parmo, but more unhealthy.