DU Rugby player hands off Wales legend Jamie Roberts to score

‘It was a bit surreal’

A DU Rugby player created history on Wednesday when he handed off international Wales star Jamie Roberts to score a try.

Hild Bede student Tom McClean dodged the 6″4 centre legendary Welsh rugby player on the 11th of November against Cambridge.

Jamie Roberts, who’s played for Wales since 2008, is studying for a MPhil in Medical Science at Cambridge, and now plays rugby for the University.

Tom told The Tab: “I played opposite him. I somehow managed to cut inside, put in a hand off, and broke the tackle to score a try. It was a bit surreal.”

In preparation for Cambridge’s varsity match in December, Roberts and his team took on Durham.

#squadgoals

Despite Durham losing 21-17, a moment of brilliance came when Tom McClean, a third year Politics student, broke through Roberts’s tackle, and managed to score a try.

The moment of the try was a bit of a blur to Tom, who said that he had no idea how Roberts reacted. Clearly, there were no hard feelings, as Roberts took photos with the team after the match, and chatted to them about uni life.