Colleges spent £20,000 keeping the rats and pests away in the last three years

Hatfield splashed out more than anyone

The Tab can exclusively reveal the high costs of pest control in data handed over by the University.

Colleges are spending thousands every year in a bid to stop pests.

• Hatfield spends the most on pest control 
  • Collingwood had a problem in 2013/14 spending three times as much as neighbours Grey
  • Ustinov spent NOTHING last year on pest control

Most of Durham can be home to rats, but some spend colleges spend more to protect you than others, shown in data exclusively held by The Tab.

Hatfield is now spending more than a grand to keep the rats away, having spent close to £2,500 in the past three years. The newer colleges on the Hill surprisingly join their Bailey foes in a battling the vermin.

Collingwood and Trevs are far outspending smaller colleges like JoBo and Grey. Collingwood splashed out over £1,800 in 2013/14 alone.

Trevs spent close to £3,000 in just three years with no end in sight, unlike Wood which managed to slice their rat poison budget from last year.

Money spent on pest control in 2014/15

Money spent on pest control in 2013/14

Money spent on pest control in 2012/13

The costs have not been revealed by John’s and Chad’s because of their status as super special snowflakes. Explanations for this can be sought from any drunk post-grad at Klute.

Colleges haven’t always been successful in keeping the pests at bay with Cuths experiencing problems last year when a rat was unable to be removed from fresher accommodation.

The story was exclusively revealed by The Tab after disgruntled residents were only given formal tickets as compensation.