We tried the dating app where women speak first, and men are still the biggest creeps

‘Should I go and buy an engagement ring now?’

What happens when the tables are turned and a woman chats up a man, when the man is at the mercy of terrible ice breakers and slightly piggish remarks?

A new dating app is being hailed as a feminist victory. Bumble is Tinder-esque, except women have to speak first.

There’s still the same swipe left and right, but if the girl doesn’t start the conversation, your connection is lost forever. It’s pretty simple. The only catch is the men can extend your connection for a further 24 hours in the hope that you’ll send them a cheeky message.

So we thought we’d test the app out for 24 hours to see what the hype was about. We created a profile and uploaded pictures. Having gathered together a fairly impressive 58 matches, I sent some of the cringest chat up lines and compliments we had received on Tinder to see what the reaction would be. Some were impressed by our vast array of knowledge on particular subjects.

Whereas others decided to play along with our little game. We liked these guys.

But it turns out that most of the guys we talked to didn’t really know how to interact with a girl properly, especially when the girl made the first move. Of the 58 people we had a connection with, only seven or eight had the confidence to reply.

And from the few conversations we had, the effect of Bumble’s decision to only let the girls message first is painfully obvious. There was none of the brashness of Tinder or the worry on Happn that you’ll bump into a match at any second. But when the shoe is on the other foot, most boys lose their ability to chat.

In total we managed to get one phone number, one snapchat request, one Facebook request, and one offer to buy an engagement ring. Bearing in mind that all these requests were from the same man. Don’t worry, we shut down our account very swiftly after.

As something to do to waste time, it’s quite a fun app to have on your phone, especially if you find social awkwardness as amusing as we do, but most of the boys are a bit wet or just far too clingy. You could almost hear them thinking: “I don’t know what to say, but I will carry on talking anyway.”