Durham football grad becomes second player to turn pro in one month

Bend it like…Jonny?

Recent Durham grad Jonny Giles has been signed to League Two outfit Oxford United.

The 21-year-old has just signed his first professional contract as a winger for Oxford after three years of playing for DUAFC.

The Hild Bede alum was signed by OUAFC after impressing during a two week trial which saw him play against professional sides Aston Villa and Southampton. 

During his time at Durham Jonny played for the DUAFC 1st XI, as well as a few matches for Ashington, a Northumberland club currently playing in the Northern League Division One. Jonny’s professional contract makes him the second DUAFC alumni to go pro in just one month. 

Tom Weedon, a third year and member of DUAFC, says that Jonny’s enjoyment of the sport always came first.

He said: “He plays like he’s at the park with his mates and that’s refreshing to see. Throughout training he was never without a ball at his feet: he just enjoys the sport.”

Tom told The Tab: “Jonny was integral to DUAFC. His attitude was always on point – he pushed others to raise their games and was often the catalyst for some of DUAFC’s best performances.

“You won’t find anyone that can say a bad word about the man! You don’t often see someone who has graduated with a 2:1 in Physics and become professional. But it comes down to Jonny, with his raw ability and enthusiasm.

“Best feet in DUAFC.”

James Grant, a third year footballer, had only good things to say about Jonny on and off the field.

James said: “His attitude was always on point, he pushed others to raise their games, and was often the catalyst for some of DUAFC’s best performances.”

Grant also praised Jonny’s “raw ability and enthusiasm”, calling him the “best feet in DUAFC.”

It is hardly surprising that Jonny is following in the footsteps of many other Durham grads who have forged a professional sports career. 

In fact, while part of DUAFC Jonny played alongside Oliver Gill: an ex-pro footballer, who played for Manchester United prior to his Econ degree. 

Durham is renowned for sporting excellence – producing hordes of sports players, including Andrew Strauss and Holly Colvin, who holds the record for being the youngest Test cricketer of either sex to play for England.

Three Dunelms also hold Olympic medals – including Sophie Hosking’s Gold in Lightweight Sculls, questioning whether Trev’s is that bad after all. 

With Durham ranked 8th for graduate prospects, students can expect to leave with good job prospects ahead, and Jonny certainly seems on his way to a great career.