Who’s playing Durham in Freshers’ Week?

It’s about to get messy

Freshers’ Week isn’t just for first years, and this year there are more events than ever to keep you busy before the thought of deadlines even enters your hungover mind. 

With a mixture of familiar and fresh faces to welcome you back, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Just be sure you make the right one.

8th October

Cosmic Dance

Fever and Arc join forces again  to put on what promises to be another spectacular night.

They’re pulling out the big guns, with special guests TWOGOOD, the DJ duo who have been tearing up the Leeds nightlife for the last couple of years and helping to make it what it is.

The space theme means things are undoubtedly going to get weird, and these guys have a reputation of going all out with their set design, so make sure you’ve got an outfit to compete.

9th October

Paradise Disco Homecoming

Worried about your return to the wintry North? Not ready to give up those summer vibes just yet?

Then come on down to Paradise Disco’s Homecoming night, featuring more Hawaiian shirts and hula girls than you can shake a coconut at.

The boys at Paradise have missed you, so they’re throwing an extra special party to welcome you home and give you a Fresher’s week that you can actually enjoy.

And based on their past events, you definitely will.

Reverb

This night certainly looks like its going to be a rogue one, although maybe not in the way you’ll want to boast about at pre-drinks.

With 600 tickets having already been pre-sold to Hild Bede and John Snow, its an unusual mix of exclusivity.

However, if your type is doctors who can also beat you at a game of badminton, this is undoubtedly the night for you.

Oh, and it promises a focus on “House Music”.

DSU Welcome Ball

Sober DJ Fresh is headlining this bastion of Durham university tradition and that’s about all its got going for it.

This one’s just for the Freshers, as even the finalist engineers aren’t old enough to have forgotten the disappointment  of their first, and last, DSU organised event.

The ball is advertised as the “only inter-college event of welcome week”, which would effectively make this entire article redundant, if only it were true.

Save yourself £39.50 and a very long evening of mundanity, and head down to any other night instead.

DJ Fresh and his lil’ cat

10th October

Cheapskates

This night promises “chart bangers, cheap entry and plenty of bargains when it comes to drinks”, which happen to be the three things that Durham’s very own Klute is known for.

It’s only £1 entry before midnight, so it can’t go that wrong, but they didn’t exactly break the mould when they thought up this night.

11th October

Basshunter at Loveshack

Just when you think you’ve got rid of him, Basshunter returns for yet another night at Durham’s Shack.

A home away from home, the Swedish singer returns to once again unite students and locals over their love for his subtly tweaked vocals.

He’ll be offering massive hits such as ‘Now You’re Gone’ and ‘All I Ever Wanted’, as well as other songs that you hopefully won’t know the words to.

Don’t miss this chance to relive your awkward teens and maybe even get in a cheeky fingerbang.

12th October

Broke(n)

Monk are back, and to show you they mean business they’ve dedicated some time to writing an exciting Facebook description to pull you in.

These seasoned entrepreneurs know what Durham students want, combining cheap drinks with stock-broker opportunities and enough capitalist references to make their family’s accountant proud.

This night may very well be the start of something new, and is a welcome return to the halcyon days of Loft Mondays, so make sure you can say you were there.

Ice Breaker Traffic Light Fresher Party

It’s an ice breaker event for Freshers.

You wear stickers to let other people know your relationship status.

It’s in Lloyds.

Make your own decision.

13th October

Manuva

There’s a new partykid stepping on the seen, in the form of the as-yet unknown Manuva.

Their Facebook page oozes mystery, but it does tell us that their first night in Durham, which is taking place in Fabio’s, will be a live Hip Hop and Reggae night.

So if you like “dancing and creme fraiche” come down to the ultimate creme fresh event and find out what’s on the other side of the mask.

Tribe Fresher’s Launch Party

This tribal themed night at Loft and Studio promises fire dancers, circus performers, cheap drinks and a diverse range of music.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that this is just another standard night out however, as they’ve got one hell of a surprise in store.

Azeem Ward, of “Azeem’s Flute Recital” fame will also be at the event, and he may even bring his flute!

16th October

Jam City

The combo night has been revived, and its looking pretty damn fine.

Opening up the doors of Loft and Studio, Jam City is launching a triple threat with three rooms of music that all promise to pack a punch.

Spend your night dancing between the big city, downtown, and the ghetto, all of which are sure to be decked in the finest wavey set design.

You might get a little lost, but it will certainly be a night to remember.

Flashback presents DJ Yella

DJ Yella, one of the original members of America’s most notorious rap group N.W.A, will be gracing our city’s streets for one night only.

They pride themselves on being unapologetically violent and sexist, and are from the hardest neighborhoods in the US, so Mr Yella should feel right at home in Durham.

His set is going to be massive, and he can certainly put on a show, so make sure you’re there to witness probably the coolest thing that’s ever happened in Shack.