Durham is the cheapest place to go to uni

We’ve all still got about £40,000 to pay, but at least the alcohol’s cheap

Glorious Durham is the best value for money uni, according to new stats.

We may not have the future Prime Ministers of Oxford or the six-foot rowers of Cambridge, but the University of Durham is the cheapest place to be a student, according to the research of MoneySupermarket.

The price comparison website took into account the worth of home and car insurance, car and house crime rates, accommodation prices, and – most importantly – the cost of a pint.

And it found Durham not only gives undergrads the best deal on living costs, but the pints in the pubs of this chilly North-East enclave cost a mere £2.10 on average.

More money for bubbles

The legions of Durham students who have emigrated from the leafy suburbs of the South will be especially glad for the move: pints in Guildford’s University of Surrey typically cost a gargantuan £5.25.

Also, with rental fees at an average of £102 a week, the students of Durham get off lightly for acquiring a roof over their heads – especially when compared to UCL students, who face fees of £185 a week.

Regardless of Durham’s comparatively cheap living, let’s not forget its students are all still basically skint by the time they leave.

Kevin Pratt, an insurance expert at MoneySupermarket, warned: “Our research found that Durham University gives undergraduates the best deal on living costs, but with average debt totalling £40,000 for most graduates these days, budgeting and smart money management has never been so important, wherever you decide to study.”

But the university has jumped from fifth to first over the last year in terms of value for money – and that’s laudable. Durham, you’re so MoneySupermarket – and now you even know it.