Durham goes into Labour

Are you surprised?

It’s The Tab what won it – Westminster old-hand, Roberta Blackman-Woods, has won the City of Durham Parliamentary constituency for the fourth time in a row.

It’s The Tab what won it

Blackman-Woods, the Labour candidate, had everything to lose, as she defended a 19-time Labour constituency.

Labour won the Durham City Constituency with 21,596 votes.

Controversial Lib-Dem, Craig Martin, towed the party line by putting in a dismal performance, polling just 5,232 votes.

Down at the count

Tories shocked by coming second with 10,157 votes, a surprising result for a seat so deeply rooted in the Labour movement.

Tory, Rebecca Coulson, was expected to pick up student votes.

She said: “A special shout-out to the students who live in the house across the road from me who have put posters up and invited me in for a drink when I get back tonight.

“I mean seriously, I’ve just had so much support from the students its been wonderful.”

Roberta wins….again

Hani Latif, co-chair of the Durham University Labour Club, told us: “A victory for Roberta Blackman-Woods and Labour in City of Durham is testament to a hard working and popular local MP.

“It shows people don’t believe the Tory plan is fair. It’s simply not working for those at the bottom of society.”

Durham Count