Durham police declare war on Klute

WAR

national noad

Police in Durham are continuing their campaign against students choosing to drink, by waging war on a popular nightclub.

Klute, once called the worst nightclub in Europe, was blasted for its supposed role in drunken river tragedies by serving punters Quaddies.

Sergeant Tim Robson, of the Alcohol Harm Reduction Unit, wants strong action and “rigorous conditions to prevent drunkenness” and accused the club of “expressed their reluctance” to stop serving Quaddies – a drink staff claim they do not serve.

He said he visited Klute on Friday, January 30, and found “heavily intoxicated” students, one man waiting to pay for ten Jagerbombs, another buying a quaddie for £4.80.

According to The Northern Echo, he also describes a woman so drunk her head was “rolling” and she needed help to get home, and three women all drunk, one of whom claimed to have drunk two quaddies and then collapsed.

Klute does not serve Quaddies. For £4.80 you can buy two double vodkas with mixer – one served in a half-pint cup, and one in a full-pint cup.

Two doubles of vodka and orange

Chair of the City Safety Group Terry Collins said: “We believe the licensed trade has a crucial role to play in keeping the public safe and that the vast majority of licensees do serve alcohol in a safe and sensible way.

“Where they do not, we will support calls for action to be taken.”

Klute give free entry anyone who has taken home a friend when drunk, preventing students walking home alone.

The club wrote on Facebook in January: “At Klute, we already have several measures in place to try to make sure you have a safe night.

Well trained bar and door teams are constantly doing their best but they face several problems; a binge-drinking culture, pre-loading, mates buying their drunken friends drinks and more.

What we need to do is look out for each other. In the wake of Euan’s death we have seen more “Sober friends” ensure their buddies get home okay and that’s brilliant.”

Vanguard of civil liberties?

The Licensing Act of 2003 prevents an alcohol licence being removed without consultation with the club management and time to deal with issues raised.

In recent months a crack down of civil liberties have angered students, with police stepping up their enforcement of the £90 fine for drinking in public.