Uni bureaucrats vote to make college bars alcohol free

The decision was made without consulting the colleges or students

A senior university committee has voted not to renew the alcohol licences of college bars when they expire this September.

Documents seen by The Tab show how from Michaelmas term next year college bars will no longer be allowed to serve alcohol.

They also reveal the decision was made without consultation of the student body.

The vote passed 10 votes to 2, with 1 abstention

The move comes from a proposal to the University Executive Committee by the Durham City Safety & Cuddle Group in a meeting of the university Safety and Awareness Committee.

A memo sent by the UEC to committee members

In their proposal the CSCG describe college bars as “providing students with potentially harmful access… to excessive amounts of cheap alcohol”.

Railf Spool, of the SAC who informed The Tab of the decision, described the choice to deliberately exclude the JCR Presidents’ committee from the discussions as the “wrong [decision]”.

The outcome of the vote is not intended to be public knowledge until it is announced in two months time (Click to enlarge)

The only exception will be St Cuthbert’s which, as a society, has administrative control over facilities such as the bar. One fresher noted that “this will make Bailey bar crawls depressingly brief”.

The decision is sure to meet with contention from the student body, one Hatfield finalist (whose college bar is to rebuilt next year) told The Tab: “They might as well not build it, the bar is the social hub of college and without booze no one’s going to go there”.

Before you send them an angry email, check your calendar…