Barmy uni rules will stop reps looking after post-offer open day pre-fresh if they go out

If you’re a Post-Offer Open Day rep and you’re seen on a night out in your t-shirt – you’ll get a disciplinary

noad

University regulations will leave Offer Holders clubbing in Durham without the usual safety framework.

New guidelines issued by the university on Thursday will ban open day reps from looking after offer holders clubbing in Durham city centre on Monday and Tuesday this week.

Open day reps will be told “not to accompany or sanction any participant who decides to go into Durham city centre after visit day activities have finished and discourage those expressing an interest in doing so.”

Offer-Holders will also be asked to sign a contract on arrival which says they will be expected to “remain on-site”, because the University is “unable to take any responsibility for [them] should [they] choose to go off-site.”

No more of this?

Every year hundreds of young adults spend a night in their allocated college to understand more about what life at Durham is like. Many students choose to go clubbing in Durham town, despite colleges not explicitly encouraging this.

In recent years Colleges have sent Open Day Reps to clubs to ensure students are not too drunk. The reps will accompany prospective students back to the colleges to ensure their continued safety.

This year, reps will face a disciplinary if they are caught trying to look after the safety of students in and around clubs.

The University send out proposed procedures to College Presidents and Heads of College earlier last week. The Tab has been told the response to this was almost unanimously negative, but Central University passed the procedures regardless.

College bars have also been restricted to serving single mixers, beers and wines only, and will be closed at 11:30pm, with service stopping at 11pm.

Open Day Reps will be faced with the problem of trying to discourage prospective students from leaving the college site after the bar closes.

The statement in full:

Offer holders will be expected to sign this agreement upon arrival

Open Day Reps must sign this agreement with the University