Police launch controversial ‘Dead Drunk’ campaign to help you get home safe

It’s been branded ‘tasteless’

alcohol beer mats campaign clubs dead drunk drunk durham durham constabulary jimmy allens police

A “misguided” campaign intended to raise awareness of getting home safe warns boozers not to be “dead drunk”.

The “tasteless” police initiative was found printed on beer mats in Jimmy Allen’s Bar yesterday evening.

Durham Constabulary have issued a policy whereby anyone found drunk on the streets and unable to get home safe will be fined £90.

They are warning: “Don’t be a ‘dead drunk’ pedestrian if you are out this weekend and having a few drinks.”

But the beer mats have offended several students after the recent river deaths of Sope Peters, Luke Pearce and Euan Coulthard.

According to the constabulary, in the last three years a total of 71 people have either died or been injured while drunk.

As a response, they are “encouraging people to make arrangements for getting home safely after a night out”.

Second year Geography student, Alex Clewett, said: “The premise is obviously good, but the hashtag is misguided at best.”

Psychology second year Lara Dolden added: “The sentiment is probably worthwhile but the hashtag is so, so awful and very tasteless.”

Economics student Robyn Morley highlighted the “distasteful” use of the cartoon dead figure, which seems to be “almost mocking those who have fallen to their death due to alcohol-related issue, and making the whole issue of getting home safely far less serious”.

But not everyone thinks the campaign is in bad taste.

A mother of a Durham University student, Janis Penn, who is currently fundraising to improve river safety among the River Wear, said: “My first thought was shock when looking at the mat.

“However, I then realised it will take something shocking to make people take notice and continue to read the small print.

“If reading the mat would allow something to register when out drinking, it can only be a good thing.

“Or for someone who is more sober to arrange safe transport home for friends who may be slightly worse for wear.”

Her husband added: “It is a good idea in that it makes people think.

“If you’re waiting to be served you might read it, and even if you yourself are not particularly drunk you might show it to a friend who may be heading that way.”

Durham Constabulary have been campaigning around Darlington today.

They posted on their Facebook: “Don’t be a ‘dead drunk’ pedestrian if you are out this weekend and having a few drinks.

“Our road policing and alcohol harm reduction teams will be in the High Row / Bondgate area of Darlington town centre between midday and 4pm tomorrow.

“They will be promoting key messages aimed at encouraging people to make arrangements for getting home safely after a night out.

“In the last three years a total of 71 pedestrians have either died or been injured in the Durham Police area while their judgement was officially classed as ‘impaired by aIcohol’.”