Could Durham handle plus-sized models in its fashion shows?

Is it time for Durham to embrace the curves?

noad

Fashion Show Season is upon us in Durham.

We’ve had teasers, launch parties and rumours of which lucky girls are in the underwear walks, but when will Durham include Plus-sized Models or even host its first Plus-Size Fashion Show?

Each Fashion Show within Durham supports a chosen charity, such as Collingwood’s donation to Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) or St Cuthbert’s Society to the Teesdale and Weardale Search & Rescue Team.

But we all know what draws people to these events: the models. So will Durham Fashion Shows, known for their elegant and sexy runways, ever embrace the plus-size trend?

The year’s first fashion show was Hild Bede’s

We spoke to Katy Roxburgh, Vice-President of Durham University Charity Fashion Show Committee (DUCFS), who took the time out of busy rehearsals to discuss her views. She explained how when searching for their models, personality was key.

“We wanted to make sure everyone involved was enthusiastic, dedicated, personable and fun,’ she said.

“This meant looking for girls who were happy, healthy and confident in their own skin.”

DUCFS’ Frankie and Jack modeling de mouilpied – Photography by Ed Little

Eleanor Reed, organiser of Collingwood College Fashion Show, agrees.

‘I think it’s really important that the models appear relaxed on stage and look like they are enjoying themselves… if the models are having a good time then the audience will be as well.’

So if organizers of fashion shows here in Durham are searching for models who can draw an audience’s attention (and walk gracefully in heels in front of an audience), what’s stopping the beautiful and bodacious from flaunting that full frame?

‘I think often due to wider stereotypes within society girls that view themselves as plus size aren’t as keen to come and audition for shows like ours because they think we’re limiting our intake to ‘the perfect body’, which isn’t the case at all.’

‘Bodies come in every shape and size you could imagine…inclusiveness is the important thing here.’

Last week, Sports Illustrated announced its annual swimsuit issue Ashley Graham, a size 18, will be the first ever plus-sized model to grace its pages. The magazine is taking part in the ‘swimsuitsforall’ campaign, encouraging women to embrace the ‘Curvy Girl’ with the #CurvesInBikinis hashtag accompanying it.

The #EffYourBeautyStandards movement led to Tess Holliday to be signed to MILK Model Management, the first of her height (5’5”) and size (22), after being spotted through Instagram.

This year there are no plus sized models walking the DUCFS catwalk, but not due to the committee turning any away.

So is there the possibility of fuller figure ladies slowly becoming part of the line ups? Or are the views and perceptions of female models within Durham, and the fashion industry, creating a reluctance for larger models to come forward?

Should we plunge in at the deep end and push for a plus size fashion show?

‘I think we should avoid trying to emphasize a difference between skinnier models and larger models,’ Eleanor believes. ‘Instead focus attention on encouraging larger size models (as well as anyone who may feel hesitant about auditioning) to audition for the current shows.’

Since these views are present in organizers of this year’s fashion shows, how long will it be before we see the confident and glamorous fuller-framed models on the runways?

Come on then Durham, embrace your curves, and see you at next year’s auditions.