Durham student rescued from river in early hours of the morning

He was rushed to hospital and treated for a suspected case of hypothermia

A fortunate Durham student was rescued from the River Wear by police and fire services.

He was taken to the nearby University Hospital of North Durham with a suspected case of hypothermia.

Emergency services were called to the town centre at about 1:45am this morning.

From 2.15am a helicopter spot light was searching the river for a second individual believed to be the man’s friend. It has since emerged that reports of a second missing person were unfounded.

A Durham Constabulary spokesperson said: “Durham police officers formed a human chain with help from the fire service to rescue a student who had fallen into the River Wear.

“The man was discovered at 1.45am today in the water near Durham Amateur Rowing Club by a passer-by who raised the alarm.

“Police officers came to the aid of the student and managed to get him out of the water with the help of colleagues from the fire service.

“The man was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham suffering from hypothermia.

“Suggestions of any other people missing in the incident are without foundation.”

Joe McWilliam, a first year at Hild Bede College, told Palatinate: “There were searchlights everywhere scanning up and down the river. It was pretty terrifying, especially after recent events.”

This comes a week after Law second year Euan Couthard’s body was recovered from the river, and on the morning of the opening of the inquest into the Durham student’s death.

County Durham Coroner Andrew Tweddle confirmed the place and date of Euan’s death as he opened the hearing.