I did Theology at Durham and then went on Take Me Out

Rosie Kyrke-Smith talks Paddy, Page 3 and the press

After graduating with a 2:1 in Theology, Rosie Kyrke-Smith now graces the screens of the acclaimed reality show, Take Me Out.

Rosie works for Heart Radio after headlining Durham’s very own Purple Radio. But bored in June of last year, she auditioned for a slot on ITV’s Saturday night reality show.

Theology grad Rosie is on the hunt

She told The Tab: “When I used to watch it I was always like ‘I can’t believe that girl did that’ but genuinely, I don’t know if it’s the girls this year, but everyone was so nice and a proper laugh and none of them were bitchy. We’re all in touch on social media.

“It was recorded towards the end of last year and we did the final bit of filming last Sunday. You film in the evenings with the studio audience, but the days are hectic, getting excited and doing rehearsals.

“It’s really real – you are kept completely separately. You’re kept in the girl’s corridor and are chaperoned to go anywhere else. So it’s a complete surprise when he comes down the love lift.”

Bubbly, GSOH & down for a drink

Clever Rosie scored a first in an ancient Hebrew module and at the time of writing was still desperate for a date.

She said: “I do want a date…the problem is I’ve worn out all other possibilities and this was all that was left. I genuinely thought it would be a right laugh…and added bonus I might get me a guy.”

Rosie’s concerned mum was nervous about the cheering crowds that greet the ladies when they arrive.

“She said it looked ghastly and asked how I coped with the screaming: she didn’t get it. She didn’t get that it was light hearted, but now she does – when she first saw it she had a bit of a panic.

Rosie’s in the driving seat

“You’re treated like a celeb – but only the good bits of being a celeb. No one’s stalking you and no one’s photographing you. But then you crash back to reality and you come back to work and no one knows you’ve done it.”

It truly was a glamorous experience. An all expenses mini break with intermittent filming was heaven:

“You get the best make-up and hair people in the business – some were off to work Strictly! They advice you on accessories and you’re getting that kind of treatment all day. When you prance down the stairs and everyone’s cheering you’re thinking ‘oh my gosh this is amazing.”

“You take a selection of dresses and clothes – and some won’t work on telly, like anything stripy just won’t work. Imagine every girl in the line up was wearing a black dress? We got to coordinate you know? Slightly mental.”

Rosie couldn’t find love dressed as a duck with gay men, so went on Take Me Out

Unlike at her college formals, Rosie chose to reject dressing as a duck. However a fellow contestant did dress as lucky Princess Jasmine, and won the prized Love at First Light.

Handling the celeb lifestyle can be challenging – even though Rosie popped back to her alma mater this Friday she wasn’t recognized:

“Random people have started adding me on Facebook and they went to your primary school. Some weirdos think you’re really desperate and so they start chatting to you.

“I haven’t been recognized yet – but that’s okay.”

I’m handling the celeb life’

Critics say Take Me Out relies solely on a singular constant: the offensively cheesy Paddy McGuinness.

Rosie said: “Paddy is exactly the same off camera as he is on. He chats to you in the exact same way even when it’s not filming. He had to take time off from one of the days filming to go see his wife – he’s a really nice guy.”

Paddy recently partnered Rosie off with a lucky man and she was sent off to Fernando’s.

“Paddy is such a nice guy”

Although feminists, and Guardian readers, might struggle with the show’s premise, Rosie doesn’t get the implicit sexism.

“You see why people say it: lots of girls versus one guy, and quite a lot of it is based on looks. But the whole point is tongue-in-cheek, and no one is there thinking they’re judged as an object. All the girls have an opportunity to judge the guys the same as they do. Its not some serious documentary.”

And anyway, Rosie says, “I quite like Page 3 and I quite like comparing my boobs. I do like a cheeky comparison now and then.”

Adding: “I’m all for equal gender though!”

Rosie, (kinda), loves the single life

The show keeps quite a tight lid on secret information like who gets a date and whose lights are switched off.

Rosie admitted: “They want to know who’s talking to who and they always want to know for the press…

“Then again The Tab’s a bit small isn’t it?”