Body recovered from Wear by police believed to be that of Euan Coulthard

The Law second year disappeared last Wednesday

national noad

A body recovered from the River Wear is believed to be that of Law second year Euan Coulthard.

Police divers went into the river this morning and retrieved the body at 12.45pm.

Euan Coulthard’s family have been notified by police.

If the body is identified as Euan’s, it will bring to an end the week-long search for the second year.

He was last seen crossing Framwellgate Bridge at 11:55pm last Wednesday after a night out at Loveshack for a friend’s 21st.

Concerns have been raised about the safety of the area surrounding the river repeatedly, and this is the third disappeance of a Durham student in the vicinity of the Wear in the last 18 months.

Yesterday David Cameron called for more to be done to improve river safety.

Speaking a week after the disappearance of Durham University student Euan Coulthard which sparked a petition now signed by over 14,000 people, he expressed his sympathy for the family of the missing student.

He said: “My thoughts are with Euan Coulthard’s family first up, because this must be a very worrying time for them.

“I understand the strong feelings people have with the petition signed by 10,000 people and given to Durham County Council and I think there are certain things about safety measures, closed circuit television, lighting, railings, practical things that  people want done and I’d encourage the county council to look carefully at what it can do.”

More to follow.