Archbishop of Canterbury to receive free degree, with no work, from Durham

And guess who’s footing the bill

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, is set to be awarded an honorary degree by Durham.

Justin Welby will add letters to his name this Friday in a star-studded ceremony becoming an Honorary Doctor of Divinity.

The Archbishop joins heavyweights like former Archbishop, Rowan Williams, and translator of the Dead Sea Scrolls Geza Vermes, in receiving the honour.

The 59-year-old cleric is set to smirk his way through a two-hour ceremony at the swanky Durham Cathedral

The relatively quick rise from the Old Etonian, Cambridge educated, ex-oil executive, has raised questions from students.

One international student wrote: “Dude I have no idea, he could have been a rare species of tomato for all I knew.”

Second year Theology student, Eve, was somewhat more informed remarking she didn’t “see the need for him to get an honorary degree when he already has an actual theology degree from John’s.

The fact he has a degree already goes some way to evidence that this is not merely an arbitrary act of spiritual recognition.”

After a life dedicated to the oil industry, Welby dropped everything before enrolling in St John’s College, Durham.

Skipping further education he went from running parish churches to being Head of the Worldwide Anglican Communion.

French-loving Welby admitted the honour was “unmerited.”

He said: “Durham is one of the greatest centres of Christianity, and I have received its riches again and again.

“From the wonderful teaching and training of my time at Cranmer Hall, through to the extraordinary privilege of being its Bishop, the home of St Cuthbert has been a blessing to me as to so many.”

Archbishop Justin Welby has battled a deeply divided Anglican Communion, supporting the consecration of women bishops and has a vague relationship with matters relating to same-sex marriage.

Controversial past recipients include David Jenkins. The former Bishop of Durham, who contrasted the Resurrection to a “conjuring trick”, dismissed the Virgin Birth and was given the doctorate in 1987.