Signal collaborate with The Art Fund to revolutionise Durham nightlife

They’ll even have a candy buffet

Pioneers of the Durham terrace party, Signal, will add a new edge to Durham nightlife when they collaborate with The Art Fund this term.

The exclusive event at The Library Bar on 18th January will raise money for The Art Fund, the national fundraising charity for the arts.

The Art Fund is the national fundraising charity for the visual arts and tries to enrich the range and quality of art on public display in the UK.

This could be you, only with booze – Photo by Mark Blower

The third year event organisers Robbie Murch and Dom Draude told the Tab: “The arts need funding just like schools, welfare projects and hospitals.

“Art is how we comment on our society and in a time of austerity that’s exceptionally important.

“Most galleries are London-centric so there is a huge need for grants to be given to museums all over the UK to widen access to the arts throughout the country.

“Great art and culture should be available to everyone and that’s why we would love to see more art in the North East of England.

“There will be terrace vibes, treats from a candy buffet, terrific decorations and a tipple of something stronger.

“As well as live music (from up and coming DJ Madam X) there will be hanging lanterns, a visual arts display, tassel garlands and fairy lights as a special tribute to creativity and artistic pursuits.

Art, candy, and booze. What more do you want?

Artist Jonathan Holmes said: “Not all art is popular, not all art is powerful, but some is both, and we will lose it all if we don’t fund it”

The arty charity try to tackle the pretentious London centric art scene by providing communities like Durham, with resources to show and share art.

Durham’s Oriental Museum, on Elvet Hill, was granted £50,000 to develop their ‘Made in Japan’ collection in 2012.

More details about The Art Fund here and The Signal Event here.