Cuth’s fashion show makes a storm

Poppy Ovenden reviews the Cuth’s Fashion Show

The evening of Wednesday 5th March saw St Cuthbert’s Society make its debut in the college fashion show scene, and it certainly did not disappoint.

The chosen venue, The Slug and Lettuce, lent itself surprisingly well to the event, the exec having managed to transform it into a stylish and atmospheric space with impressive lighting and sparkling table decorations. Perhaps a significant downside was the stage, arranged in an L shape, which meant that from time to time some of the action was out of view, particularly if you were in the cheap seats. However, in some ways it worked to an advantage, creating more stage space, filling the entire venue, and giving the models more room to traverse.

Each walk was an event, the organisers having chosen to stray away from the traditional walk, pose and retreat catwalk style in exchange for a much more of a ‘show’. Each display saw the models walk on dancing across the stage, performing individually and then engaging in rendezvous with one another, before switching places. This enabled the audience to have a long look at each of the stylings and from different angles. Walks were very well choreographed to complement the looks on show and the whole result was extremely attractive.

The evening included collections from brands such as Woven, Alma de Acne, from The Young Ones, Beaufort and Blake, House of Holland, Apache Apparel, and Lingerie by Annette.

Menswear by Woven

SCSFS Catwalk 20 Dress by Woven

SCSFS Catwalk 83 Clothes by Beaufort and Blake

The things that really stood out included the collection of colourful onsies from The Young Ones, which saw the models affectionately pulling each other’s hoods up, and the pairing of House of Holland for Pretty Polly tight with the oversized t-shirts and jumpers from Apache Apparel, a classic example of things we would love to wear but tragically, are only acceptable on the runway!

Onsie and sweatshirt by The Young Ones

SCSFS Catwalk 47 Onsie by The Young Ones

Tights by House of Holland, T-shirt by Apache Apparel

Tights by House of Holland, t-shirt by Apache Apparel

Menswear by House of Holland

A gesture towards the chosen charity, breakthrough breast cancer, was given in the evening’s theme, ‘A Touch of Pink’. This was subtly evident throughout the night, including during the first ‘powder’ walk which was reminiscent of the earlier promotional fashion shoot (LINK HERE), with details like the glittery pink handprints on the male models during the underwear walk. The shows proceeds were increased by an auction towards the end of the evening, which saw the audience bidding for items including one of the hosts, dates with a model of choice, and a personal training session from one of the male models.

Compere Mike White with the raffle bucket

The show was complemented from the Durham University Dance Troupe, Durham University African and Caribbean Dance Troupe and The Palatinotes a cappella choir, all of whom added to the general sassiness and excitement already exhibited on the runway.

A selection from House of Holland and Apache Apparel

SCSFS Catwalk 11 Digby Walker immersing himself in ‘Touch of Pink’ theme

The evening was hosted by Cuth’s second years, Mike White and Digby Walker, who fully engaged with the evening’s theme by donning a baby pink suit complete with loafers. The duo intercepted the walks with an enormous amount of jokes and appropriately naming and shaming the current/ex beaus of many of the models. They also made an appearance in the women’s underwear walk, even if Digby did manage to get his bra upside down.

Cuth’s well-oiled male models

Lingerie by Annette

Lingerie by Annette

Lingerie by Annette

Lingerie by Annette

The comperes get involved

The evening culminated in the entire cast, and indeed much of the audience, taking to the runway to dance, resulting in a wide-spread feeling of drunken elation. It’s safe to say that Cuth’s well and truly stormed the fashion show scene with what was a highly professional, exciting, and attractive show.

Photography by Mike Dennison

See the rest of the photos from the evening here: www.facebook.com/mikedennisonphotography