Team of the week: DU Basketball

DU Bball have really come into their stride this season, with success coming at all levels of the club. With a Premiership title already under their belt, the ballers are looking to take the cups by storm…

The Men’s 1sts won the Premier North Division, despite some major injury problems.

They’re now looking to win the national championships, and considering that they’ve already beaten last year’s victors, Worcester, twice in the league this season, their chances are looking bloody good.

Their success is in part down to the American contingent, with Devin Ginty, Kirck Crecco, RJ Evans (the names give nothing away…) being standout players; the one to watch is a certain Mattia Bradascio.

Spurred on by the partnership between the club and BBL Championship team, Durham Wildcats, mastermind coach Ralph Bucci has been essential to the team’s success.

This could easily be a still from yet another American basketball movie

The Women’s 1sts are smashing it too, having finished second in Premier North, pipped to the title by bitter rivals, Northumbria.

They’ve also got a serious shot at winning the national finals, being put straight into the quarter finals at the end of March, their reward for coming second in the Prem.

A walking, winning, ballin’ cliché

Steph Rogers has been playing exceptionally well, and on one occasion she scored whilst literally lying on the ground after being fouled.  Sensational.

A vintage photo for a vintage season so far

The Men’s 2nds have had a tough season in their league, being the only 2nds team, which is itself testament to how far this club have come.

They progressed to the quarter finals of the Northern Cup, only being halted by Teeside 1sts.

A couple of 20 point games from both Colm O’Hici and Jack Coates are a significant factor for their success, with Erasmus student, Robin David, also playing well.

The Women’s 2nds are currently second in their league, despite being only one of two 2nds teams in the Northern 2B.

They’ve also won their last 6 games on the trot!

Guilty.

The girls are through to the semi-finals of the Northern Cup, having beaten Liverpool this week, and are certainly the team to beat at the moment.

Fourth year, Jenny Boyd, has been impressive all season, whilst fresher, Laura Wilson, is one to look out for.

The team to beat.

Best of luck to the teams as they progress through the Championship and Cups – judging from their successes so far, the future’s looking good for Durham Basketball.