Palatinates prepare for College Varsity

This Sunday, Durham’s top college teams will take on the best that York has to offer in the College Varsity competition. York have said they’re ready. We’ve been ready since 1832.

This Sunday marks one of the most anticipated college sporting events of the season; and it’s actually going ahead this time, unlike the Novice Cup.

On 2nd March, Durham’s premier sporting colleges, and Trevs, take on the best of York.

The fixture list for Sunday

York’s colleges went through an arduous qualifying process, resulting in their successful college teams being named as the university’s 1sts and 2nds.

Durham, on the other hand, chose the top two teams from the college leagues on 19th February, who were then selected to represent the Palatinates.

Nouse, York’s student newspaper, interviewed College Sport Officer, Dave Washington who said:

“I can’t wait for the actual event against Durham on 2nd March, and the opportunity to test ourselves against the model for college sport.

Whatever happens I’m sure it will be a fabulous event, and I’d urge everyone to come down and support the York teams.”

Can our ‘model for college sport’ beat these guys…?

Considering HBRFC and HCAFC’s recent run of form, the Palatinates have got a fantastic chance of showing just how good Durham college sport is.

Our head of college sport, Tom Newman, told The Tab:

‘Durham have the largest intramural sport program in the country and Sunday is a perfect opportunity for us to showcase the depth in sporting talent on offer.

It’s also great to see such a variety of colleges represented and it’s a unique opportunity for them to compete wearing palatinate purple.

I’d say we’re going in as favourites although anything could happen on the day! I’m confident that our captains will be able to deliver in the way that Durham athletes are renowned for, no matter what their level.’

Will the Palatinates dominate Nouse’s scoreboard come Sunday evening?

The coverage on the official facebook page has been relentless, with York’s Student TV channel producing this, er, interesting, video:

Buses leave MC at 10:30, with coaches returning from York at 15:30, 17:30 and 20:00.

With a closing ceremony on Sunday evening, followed by a evening in Revs, you’d better bet we’re ready.

York, prepare to be painted palatinate.