Lucrative Lindisfarne Gospels Generate £8.3 Million

The Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition, which closed just before the start of Michaelmas Term, managed to generate an impressive £8.3 million for the local economy.

business Cathedral durham economy gospels international lindisfarne restaurant shop

Clearly the strong publicity campaign worked as the exhibition brought in a hefty sum for Durham businesses.

Owing to the immense popularity of the exhibition, which displayed one of the finest examples of Hiberno-Saxon art known to man, Durham’s shops, hotels and food establishments experienced a massive boost.

A cheeky post-exhibition trip to Klute perhaps?

Created by the community of St Cuthbert on Lindisfarne, the gospels attracted just under 100,000 people from 52 different countries, with the exhibition at full capacity in its final few days.

‘I couldn’t believe I was seeing the real thing! Fantastic!’ remarked one visitor.

The organisers of the experience praised the knowledgeable and obliging shopkeepers for their help, which undoubtedly ensured those extra sales.

Bobby Sheen, of Warm Sanctuary in Claypath, said The Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition has given us such a fantastic opportunity to showcase the City and the people within it.’

Two businesses near Elvet Bridge were said to have lost £2500 in the week leading up to Lumiere.

Perhaps the money could go back to the shops and small businesses of Durham, which suffered during this year’s Lumiere, for which Durham County Council apologised.