Where Is The Snow?!

We’ve had hail, we’ve had gale force winds, we’ve had lots of rain, but where is all the snow?

With the holiday season getting under way I am sure that many of you are hoping for a white Christmas. However, most of the weather we’ve had so far this December has been terrible. Durham was hit the day before yesterday by gale force winds, part of a storm that has been tearing up Britain. One third year student from Aidan’s even got hit in the face by a flying wheelie bin. 

Keep your eyes peeled.

Just a few weeks ago weather forecasters were predicting the ‘coldest winter ever.’ They said that we should expect snow for up to three months and that it would be the worst winter in more than sixty years. All we’ve had so far though is a little bit in November in areas around County Durham and a flurry yesterday that could barely be called snow; it didn’t even stick to the ground.

Last year Durham had its first snow in October and its last in April, so where is it now?

Durham last October.

Well the truth is I don’t know! Maybe it’s taken a leaf out of the lecturers’ books and gone on strike. Maybe it’s not venturing south of the Scottish border. Maybe we’re just destined for a mild winter this year.

Is the snow on strike too?

But who cares!

Well said.

At the moment I am sure that there are many others like me who do not want to see snow until Christmas Eve at the earliest. Do you really want to see this when you’re trying to get home for the holidays?:

A piss take.

Is this the weather you want on your way to lectures?:

There’s no business like snow business.

So stop worrying about the fact that we’ve had no snow yet and embrace it! After all, ’tis the season to be jolly, not the season to worry about stacking it in front of your mates by slipping on black ice.

That and wearing wellies to lectures looks shit.