DULax triumphant in England upset

Ever wondered what DU LAX get up to on a weekend? Well look no further. If you think we kick our shoes off and put our feet up you couldn’t be more mistaken. This weekend, we took on England and won. All in a day’s lax.

Despite the fact the new rubber crumb has been open for training and matches for a couple of months, Team Durham decided to hold an opening ceremony.

In scenes reminiscent of the Olympics we had important dignitaries, hard core supporters and team players present and MC even went one better with their own colour-coded balloon doorway. Did the Olympics have that? I think not!

The grand, slightly belated, opening of MC’s new 3G surface

Our match against England was split into 4 quarters, the first was to be Durham’s strongest side against members of England’s Elite squad and then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters would see the England development team take over from the Elite side and take on the Durham squad.

Some of the girls in purple had to abandon their home colours for the day and don the red and white rose of the national side, which mixed things up a little.

Once the fanfare had subsided, the first teams lined up: Durham Women’s Lacrosse Vs England Elite. The game was on. England started strong with a quick couple of goals, leaving Durham shell shocked at 2-0.

Where dreams are made

But the leaders of the Northern Premiership don’t give up that easy, Durham were quick to counter attack with two stunning goals from the “terrier” of the north, Hannah Khin.

After a multitude of cracking saves from the Durham and England Development goalie Izzy McNab, England went ahead 3-2.

Ye of little faith would believe the game was over and done, with only than 5 minutes left but the Palatinates smashed home another goal with Izzie Clifton-Brown putting the cherry on top of a beautiful transition play from the Durham girls that drew the quarter at 3 goals a piece.

The second quarter saw many of Durham’s girls swap sides to represent the England Development team. After more cracking goals from Durham the score line read 6-4 however, England’s motor soon kicked in and some quick clinical attacking saw Durham’s lead reduced to a 6-6 standoff.

Going into the fourth quarter, Durham had the biggest win of their season in sight and went on the offensive.

A avalanche of goals from Izzie Clifton-Brown, Loulou Rowlands, Jessica Nonn, Gabriella Flibotte, Lizzie Apthorp and Hannah Khin saw a final score of Durham 17 England Development 7.

This is undoubtedly a fantastic win for Team DU LAX but credit must also go to the opposition who took time out of their rigorous training regime to play us.

DULax proved themselves ruthless world beaters this week and have been on fire on and off the pitch. So gents, if you’re dating a DULAX player raise your hand, if you’re not…raise your standards.