Don’t panic! DSU launch “Take your time to sign”

“I’m dreading spending next year with her”: DSU discourage students from signing houses too early, with Studentpad launching a month later than previous years

After a recent influx in housing dilemmas, the DSU has launched a ‘Take your time to sign’ campaign encouraging students to wait until December before signing a house.

This year, the University, DSU and College JCRs have collaborated on a scheme to advise students not to panic and sign early in order to get the ‘best’ houses.

This year signings have been prompt; Allen Mason of Mason and Sons said, “I usually let my properties out on the 1st December but after a number of calls to view them early I decided to let them before this deadline.”

With property prices having risen by about £3 per week from last year, choosing a house is no light decision.

According to the DSU however, students should not rush into signing a house especially first years who have only known each other for a few weeks.

One Castle student said, “I live with four girls that I thought I really liked in freshers. Turns out one of them is nothing like I thought she was in the first few weeks and now I’m dreading spending the next year with her.”

‘Take your time to sign’ encourages people to realise that there are more houses than students available in Durham. Obviously for prospective third and fourth years there is competition to be in the ‘golden triangle’ of Hallgarth, Church Street and Old Elvet but for the rest there are plenty of remaining properties.

The Union is trying to avoid freshers feeling pressure to sign early, putting up white A2 paper outside the café so older students can write their advice.

The campaign poster

Studentpad, a university service that advertises private accommodation for students, will even launch on 1st December instead of 1st November as in previous years.

The DSU feel it is important to show students there is no need to sign before this date as new houses are still released in January after the housing fair, by which time many landlords may have dropped their prices in order to regain competition after the initial wave of signing.

It may seem like a good idea to take the pressure off signing a house by doing it early, but ‘Take your time to sign’ makes clear that by rushing, people can seriously misjudge the situation they may find themselves in a year down the line.

The overall message from the DSU welfare initiative led by Grace Abel is to stave off the panic, settle in with your friends and by January you may have a much clearer picture of who is best for you, landlords and housemates alike.