TabPreview: Pornography

Michael McLauchlan interviews director Hannah Brennan on Hild Bede Theatre’s first term production of “Pornography” by Simon Stephens. It’s sure to put bums on seats but everything is not what it seems when it comes to this provocatively named production, we found out more…

MMcL: So we’ll get straight to it, what is ‘Pornography’ all about?

Hannah Brennan: It’s a play about the London 7/7 Bombings; in fact I believe it was the first play written on the subject. It deals with people directly involved and the shockwaves and impact of the event. It’s a stunning piece of writing by Stephens. There are very few character names, often no indication of where scenes end and begin and no stage directions. I think the actors have found it a very visceral experience, to say the least!

With that in mind, why on earth is it called ‘Pornography’?

It’s a play about the taboo. It’s a very British response, the stiff upper lip, the ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’. The play brings to light aspects of human nature and experience that happen every day, which we just ignore or learn to live with. It’s a play of ordinary situations made extraordinary, and extraordinary situations made insignificant. I think the title reflects that idea, something which makes us all feel uncomfortable, something we should address, but maybe we aren’t quite ready to face yet.

This isn’t a play for the faint hearted then…

[Laughs] Oh no! I love this play because it’s such a challenge! I think the beauty of student drama here in Durham is that people are constantly testing the boundaries, constantly challenging people’s thinking through theatre. Two years later and people still come up to me wanting to discuss ‘4.48 Psychosis’. Hild Bede Theatre was never a company to go for the soft option, and in return we enjoy watching drama that isn’t afraid to go out on a limb (such as The Babysitters, last year’s DDF triumph that somehow made torture hilarious).

What have been the difficulties thus far of doing such a controversial piece?

I think there are no more risks than anything else – I mean in my first year I made ‘Animal Farm’ a controversial play about the coalition government. The name of this piece is shocking and may alienate people, but hopefully many more will have a look on google and get an idea of what we’re trying to achieve. I’d rather sink or swim in a challenge than go for the easy option!

Putting your back to the wall here – why should people come and see this play?

I’ve watched my cast take on these huge, devastating story-lines, and although this piece isn’t going to be to everyone’s taste, the 7/7 bombings are very much a part of our cultural history, and an event it’s becoming all too easy to overlook.

I always thought that if you were a good actor you were able to shake that role off and go home to tea, but actually, the mark of the acting standard here is the fact that everyone is so invested in making sure we tell these stories properly. The whole piece is non-judgmental, exploratory and experimental.

Before we go home for tea, sum the play up in three words?

Funny, Sad and Shocking

“Pornography” is running from 21st – 23rd November in Caedmon (Hild Bede College) at 7.30 pm.