Fresh in the Fashion Pond

CALLING ALL FRESHERS: This is for YOU! We’ve got some crucial fashion advice for you.

We are rapidly submerging into our fourth academic week here in the ‘Durham Fashion Pond’ and things really are wetting up, and no, I’m not just talking about the weather.

By day you may have found yourself knee deep in unadulterated country attire: corduroy, tweed and the ubiquitous hunter wellington; by night you’re a dazzling vision of velvet scrunchies, creepers and disco pants descending upon Love Shack for your Jägerbomb fuelled evening of reckless abandon.

Freshers, know this: there’s absolutely no shame in rocking up to Studio to find yourself face to face with another Durham-ite wearing the same Ralph Lauren shirt, the same American Apparel crop top, the same Levi 501s.

No shame in those RF staples, always a good call.

Gone are the days of shrivelling into a corner and retreating to your friends with an ‘Oh my Gosh, I have to go and change.’ Because babes, if matching is cool in the pool, you’re the shark. So whack on the snap back and go get your bait!

OK, so perhaps this may be an overarching generalisation, but there’s no denying that you look undoubtably fabulous in your ‘i’m-so-chilled’ ‘oh-so-indie’ hoop earrings.

If you haven’t yet had your all-elucidating mid lecture realisation of something you forgot to bring from home, here are 3 reasons to make a trip to the Metrocentre to get you through Michaelmas and the impending nipple hardening weather:

KLUTE SHOES

Fit for a Kween

Yes, your shoes WILL get ruined so choose carefully which pair you anoint as the chosen one. Boys should go for loafers and girls for a low heeled shoe boot. Suede is an outright no-no.

A CHEAP WARM JACKET

Wrap up warm kids, winter’s coming. Like you’ve never seen it before…

Because you’re worth it, so don’t run the risk of walking home cold. What’s more, there’ll be no tears when your Primark blazer goes missing from under the love shack hippie van.

A STATEMENT NECKLACE

Golden balls…

This one is for the girls. A statement Zara necklace will render any 3 minute outfit you pull together effortlessly chic – an absolute essential.