The Fresher’s A-Z: Part II L-Z

The Tab finishes off it’s Fresher guides with the final part of our A-Z. Here’s our last titbits of wisdom, lap it up and you’ll have the best three years of your life.

The Tab brings you Part II of its comprehensive A-Z list of Durham Freshers. What you need to know, what you need to have and what you need to avoid.

L | Loveshack

A regular Wednesday post-social night at Loveshack is an essential part of the Durham experience. Bringing together, rugby socials talking about the vast quantities of concoctions they all downed together naked and the Monk men standing around in furry coats too big for them, achieving nothing of significance whilst the queue grows larger and more aggravated than those outside Northern Rock in 2007.

M | Maiden Castle

Durham’s centre of sporting excellence. The Uni sportsman will spend hundreds of hours here, the collegiate amateur less so. For those of you with two left feet, you’ll see it during exams.

N | North Road

Home to Studio, Yates’, Wetherspoons and yours truly. During Fresher’s Week it was regularly packed at 2 am with the slurred chants of college enthusiasts. Imaginative chants such as ‘Hatfield, Hatfield’ echoed throughout the city.

Got it so right…

O | Onesies

If you have one then you will inevitably spend your hungover hours watching movies in the cozy encapsulation of your layer-free clothing.

Skiing banter

P | Palatinalps

The big Durham ski week. A week in the Alps where hordes of students descend on some unsuspecting ski resort and take over in drunken enthusiasm. A cracking week but somewhat costly.

Q | Queens Campus

A campus on Stockton that will play little part in the lives of those on the hill or the Bailey. There may come a time when your college team will  be required to go to Stockton. It’s an experience to say the least. You can get the bus there for free.

R | Rugby

Durham bloody loves rugby. We’re pretty good at it too, almost invincible some would say. Watch the Tab’s epic coverage of our most recent Twickenham triumph!

We just can’t get enough…

S | Studio

Another key addition to Durham nightlife, based on North Road and with a cracking music selection that never ventures outside the UK top 40, most freshers will have already made a visit to this wonderful place. Rumoured to be the sweatiest and most overcrowded place in the world. For more info try out our Fresher’s Nightlife Guide!

T | Tradition/ Tour/ The Tab

Durham has rules – aside from the holy grail of all Durham traditions, the aforementioned Wednesday night at Shack – there is the entirely superficial business of matriculation, the (even more superficial) hatred between Stockton and Durham proper and the absolutely serious blood feud between Hill and Bailey (played out in real life through eating challenges).

Go on a sports tour of some sort, a completely unique experience.

Us.

U | Urban Oven

The night is over and the need for sustenance overpowers  upon you like. It is not the place for a sober meal.

V | Vintage

Durham’s new found and much prized edginess demands vintage clothing from one of the North Road’s vintage shops. For guidance, see the Tab’s guide to being edgy in Durham.

W | Whiff Waff

Durham’s new bar/club/ping-pong arena. A Northern attempt at London’s Ping as featured on MIC, the venue is now a cracking place to watch drunken attempts at co-ordination. Not the greatest place for high quality ping-pong but a good place for a drink none the less.

X | X-rated antics

We do get up to some mischief.

Y | Yates’

Not a regular venue for the student population but by all means a regular local hangout. The offer of a three pound full English breakfast sounds appealing but the stagnant smell of a boozy night might not be the perfect setting  for a hung-over fry up

Z | Zzzzz…

Invest in that memory foam, you’re going to be doing a lot of sleeping.