It’s Official: Durham is full of Londoners

Study reveals London teenagers are 43% more likely to continue into higher education than their counterparts in the North-East.

London has overtaken the rest of the country in the proportion of young people entering higher education after a sharp increase in 18 year olds from Peckham, Barking and Croydon are attending university.

More students from places like Croydon are attending university this year.

The study, published by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), found that young people from London are 36% more likely to enter higher education now than in the late 90s. This compares with a 26% increase for the rest of the country.

It found that two out of three school leavers in London’s wealthier suburbs go on to study at university, whilst pupils from the North-East are the least likely to enter higher education.

After a 52% increase in participation amongst the disadvantaged however, Professor Michael Gunn, vice-chancellor of Staffordshire University, said, “The increase in the number of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds entering higher education is one of the great British success stories of the last 15 years.”

Professor Michael Gunn

The figures reveal that the gap in participation rates based on income and education has indeed narrowed. In the late 90s pupils living in more advantaged areas were four times more likely to enter higher education than those in low participation areas. In 2012 this has reduced to just three times.

So whilst you’re still unlikely to hear a northern accent up here, at least the chances are improving.