The Tab Fresher’s Fair

We went to the Fresher’s fair but it was all just a bit much. So we thought we’d put together The Tab’s tip top selection from our own slightly more manageable Fresher’s fair.

What to join, how to get involved and the perks of being part of the most coveted societies in all of Durham…

1.       Durham University Ski and Snowboard club

For beginners or professionals, DUSSC is one of the biggest University ski trips around and is definitely not one to miss. This year’s location is Tignes and promises to be one of the best locations yet. If you’re not slope savvy, the nightlife is worth going for, and gets in some of the biggest music names around. Events include opening and closing parties both in Durham and on the actual trip which are a great way to get into the holiday spirit so keep your eyes and ears open for booking details.  Here’s last year’s video to show you what’s in store.

2.       Wine Society

Guaranteed to provide you with a night you won’t remember, but will never forget. The Durham University wine society promises unlimited wine and cheese, and a great way to start off the night for just £7. Normally located at the DSU, the evening begins with a steady appreciation of some of the most prestigious wines from around the world, carefully selected by the chairman and committee. The addition of a huge wheel of Brie and blocks of strong flavoured cheddar create the perfect setting for an initially sophisticated and classy evening.  However, the night quickly progresses to more dedicated drinking and begins the social event of the month.

To get involved one can either become part of the committee – planning and organising the events by choosing wines, cheeses, and enjoying the leftovers. The committee also arranges the social event of the year; the Wine Soc Ball. An evening not to be missed, consisting of fine wines, delicious food and the beautiful scenery of the infamous Lumley Castle. Benefits of a lifetime membership are immediate access to all meetings, and up to date details of all events; ideal to hone in your skills regarding various vineyards and grapes. If you want to only try one society, this is a definite one to give a go.

3.       Durham University Charity Fashion Show

The most sought after and talked about night in the Durham social calendar promises to be a night of fashion, fun and class. A great opportunity to discover next term’s targets and new fittest fresher’s, amongst some of Durham’s elite. The whole evening is planned to perfection: catwalk, models and marquee. Although this year’s exec has already been decided, modelling and helping out is a great way to get involved. Tables sell out quickly so are well worth waking up early to buy for an evening of entertainment, including gift bags, canapés, dance, fashion and auctions. For models, perks include becoming a BNOC. Or just a NOC.

4.       Team Durham

One of the best ways to get involved in Durham is the wide range of University sports. Not only do you get the iconic palatinate purple kit, but you will be part of a successful team. With the DURFC making it through to finals at Twickenham in the last two years, and being the reigning champs, it’s definitely a team to get involved in. For the ladies of Durham DULAX and DUHC are two prestigious teams to be of, and always promise to have some of the best socials around. For the early riser, DUBC is a must. Whether you have the muscles to be a rower or the voice to be cox, there is a something for everyone. Or you could just pick your favourite DU acronym and get involved.

It’s all about enthusiasm: